Sunday, May 4, 2008

PAIN

I've had shingles for a week now so there is very little that I find amusing or even interesting.

Shingles is an outbreak of blisters by the same virus that causes chickenpox. It is usually around the waist and can be very painful. Even a light touch can be painful. This information is from the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, but I could have told you the same thing from my experience this week. Over 50 percent of people in their 50s who have shingles develop postherpetic neuralgia (This means the pain stays after the shingles are gone.)

From the Mayo Clinic: The pain of shingles can be excruciating, and the cause might not be immediately evident. But once the telltale rash and blisters start on one side of your body, it's more easily identified as shingles.

Any one who has had chickenpox is at risk. There is a vaccine now but you should talk to your doctor about it because it is not for everyone. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shingles/DS00098

I know I'm talking a lot about the pain but that's all I can think about right now. You can find info about symptoms, treatment, vaccine, etc at the Mayo Clinic Web site above. All I can think about is the pain part.

No comments: