Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Wine at Last!




Another big problem with shingles.... you can't drink wine with the medication. But I'm back! I opened two bottles that were recommended at Grapevine Market.

One was a Sauvignon Blanc called Kiwi Cuvee from France.... yes, France, not New Zealand. It was very good and under $10! I went back for more at this price. The other was a chardonnay from Burgundy, France, 2005 Bourgogne, Vincent Girardin. I don't care for oak and I loved this.

But hold on... now I want to find out about the cult following of Two Buck Chuck! Trader Joe's carries these $2 wines: Cabernet Sauvignon, White Zinfandel, Merlot, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Shiraz, and limited quantities of Pinot Grigio. These super-value wines began as the result of an oversupply of wine. According to Trader Joe's, "They’ve become the nation’s best-selling wines, not surprising when you consider the combination of low price ($1.99 - $3.49 per bottle, depending on the region)."

Now I can't testify if this stuff is drinkable, but if I can talk my son into putting a bottle in his luggage, I'll let you know. You see, there are lots of Trader Joe's in Phoenix where Scott lives, and he coming to visit in a couple of weeks. (No Trader Joe's in Texas.) Who knows, it won an award at the California State Fair!

No comments: