Monday, August 24, 2009

Lentil Soup for the masses

I have been cooking up a storm, trying to eat healthy. It goes against my natural inclinations...cooking, that is, but I really do want to eat better. Today I made Lentil Soup from French Women for All Seasons. I've made it before....I think.

It's really easy to make, but it requires lots of the "C" word (chopping). It says it serves four, but I'd like to see the size of those four people. I freeze a lot and store the rest in containers for lunch.

Oops, I was talking to my mother and forgot to add the tomatoes. Oh well, how much cooking could they need. I'll just add them at the end. Maybe a chocolate chip to settle my nerves.

Back to storage issues: I put as much as I could in glass containers. But (and this is a big but) there is a lot left over. I saw someone store liquids in baggies so...... It's still sort of hot so I put the baggies in the fridge. Just a couple of chocolate chips to make things more pleasant.

When I checked the baggies they had leaked and run down the fridge and settled under the vegetable bin. Yuk! How many paper towels does it take to soak up that stuff? A handful of chocolate chips helps.

Here is the recipe; it really is good!
2 qts vegetable stock
1/2 lb lentils
2 T olive oil
1 med onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 T chopped parsley
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
salt & pepper
Bring stock to a simmer & drop in lentils. Heat oil in skillet and add onion, garlic, and celery. Cook until golden, 3-5 minutes. Add parsley & tomatoes; cook 8-10 minutes. After lentils have been cooking for 35-40 minutes, add onion mixture to pot & cover. Simmer until lentils are soft, 5-10 more minutes. Season with salt & peper.

No comments: