Sunday, March 9, 2008

There's nothing like a cozy fire to set the alarms off

I will no longer try to create picturesque moments of a cozy hearth on a cold night with a glass of wine and a kitty on my lap. Friday night I was so-o-o tired that I decided to skip dinner and rest. When I pulled into the garage I spotted some logs that I bought a long time ago and had forgotten. Since this may be the last cold night for a while, with spring due to arrive any day, I should use those logs and create some atmosphere to boot.

Wouldn't that be wonderful.... a warm, crackling fire. Actually, I'm not sure I had ever started a fire. But how hard could it be; I have a gas starter. Check to make sure the flue is open. Put the logs in, add a little newspaper, and light the starter. Ah-h-h there..... the logs are starting to catch. I sit in my chair with a book I've been meaning to read. Any minute I will be warm and relaxed.

H-m-m it's a little smoky; I'l open the sliding glass door just to make sure the smell doesn't linger. That's better. H-m-m maybe I'd better fan the smoke to the door. OK the fire seems to be doing fine now.

H-r-r-r-ng!! Blang!! R-r-r-ing! Victoria ran to hide under the bed. She's never heard a smoke alarm, much less three going off at once. Stay calm. Open all the doors. Turn on the AC fan. Wow, it's a lot colder than I expected with all the doors open. Oh no, Victoria decided to make a run for the outside.

She's on her own now. I can't leave. I have to fan the smoke out before the sprinkler system comes on. There needs to be a button on the system that says "This is a mistake. I'm not really on fire. Don't spray me with water!"

Good girl, the alarms have stopped sounding. Now put out the fire and stop the smoking. I wish I had fireplace tools. You know, kitchen tongs and a butcher knife work just fine when you REALLY need to get logs outside quickly.

I think I'll just skip the wine and go to bed.

SIDECAR history

My friend Jane is a teacher. But not just any teacher. She knows, or will find out, anything! But she surprised me at a wedding reception when someone mentioned wanting a Sidecar cocktail. Jane said, "The Sidecar was created by a World War I officer to keep warm after riding in a sidecar." I asked her how she knew that. "I researched it." Jane always knows the history of anything!

From Wikipedia here's a recipe for a Sidecar:

One part brandy or Cognac
One part Cointreau
One part lemon juice
Preparation:
Mix the ingredients in a shaker half full of ice. Strain and serve in a sugar-rimmed glass. Garnish with a strip of lemon rind

No comments: